Facilities Use Policy
(approved by DCC Council 4 Jan 2010)
It is the intent of Decorah Covenant Church that its facilities shall first and foremost be dedicated to God for the ministries of Decorah Covenant Church, and have wide usage by its members and regular attendees primarily for worship, discipleship, fellowship, Christian education, and evangelism. Also, use of the building and its facilities is open to church members and regular attendees for family functions, etc. and to ecumenical and non-church related organizations that are compatible with our philosophy and beliefs (not necessarily religious groups) such as Boy or Girl Scouts, 4H, community cultural organizations such as Nordic Dancers, and concerts and recitals open to the community. In order to define the conditions for use of the facility and to avoid conflicts, this policy and set of rules is essential.
- All meetings and events must be scheduled on the church calendar through the church office. Contact the church administrative assistant to check the availability of date, time, and all room(s) you wish to request.
- No events will be scheduled against regularly scheduled DCC worship activities or Christian education activities. With sufficient justification, special DCC events may occasionally displace regularly scheduled activities, but this should be rare.
- No outside non-church group scheduling shall conflict or interfere with regular DCC ministries, programs, or activities.
Requests by DCC Ministries and Committees
- If there is no scheduling conflict, the Administrative Assistant puts the event on the church calendar.
- In case of a scheduling conflict, either reschedule the event or the Administrative Assistant passes the request on to the appropriate contact person/committee responsible for the schedule during the requested time in conflict for approval or denial. If approved by that contact person/committee, the event is added to the church calendar and appropriate changes made.
Requests by non-DCC ministry/committee entity
(including members/regular attendees such as for family functions such as a graduation party, etc.) or any outside group not affiliated with DCC:
- Requestor must fill out facilities use request form and submit it to the Administrative Assistant who will check church schedule for the availability of date, time, and room(s) you wish to request.
- If schedule is available for requested spaces, Administrative Assistant will then pass on the request to the “Facilities Use Discerner”. All requests involving the use of the sanctuary space must be reviewed and approved by the Worship Leader (Julie Chamberlain)
- If the Facilities Use Discerner approves a request as appropriate, the Facilities Events Coordinator is then notified. The responsible party for an approved event must meet with the DCC facilities events coordinator to determine what room(s), setup, and equipment will be needed and what the use fees will be. Full payment will be made prior to or at the time of the event, with 50% deposit due at time of meeting with the DCC facilities events coordinator. The Facilities Events Coordinator will coordinate contacts with Facilities Manager (setup, maintenance, and custodial requests), AV Crew Leader, or Worship Leader as needed.
- In the event that a question arises regarding the appropriateness or philosophical compatibility of a group applying for use, or a question about appropriate fees (or the waiving of such), the DCC facilities use discerner will make this determination, in consultation with the church council if necessary.
- The use of alcoholic beverages and smoking are not permitted anywhere in the church or on its grounds. The only exception to this rule is that wine may be used in special circumstances for communion.
- The use of church facilities does not automatically mean parties can use the sanctuary, audio-visual, sound, musical, or other equipment. Use of the sanctuary and any sound or musical equipment must be approved by the church worship leader and a trained AV crew member must be present if any AV equipment is used.
- The worship committee and DCC worship leader have jurisdiction over all DCC sanctuary instruments (piano, keyboard, drum set, etc) and audio visual equipment. Because of the fragile nature of instruments and wiring, the worship band area is off-limits to everyone without explicit permission of the DCC worship leader.
- Sound and media equipment will only be operated by trained members of the DCC AV crew.
- Use of any audio visual equipment outside of the sanctuary requires permission of the DCC facilities manager. No AV equipment from any room is allowed to leave the church building except for DCC activities.
- Use of kitchen areas and kitchen equipment and supplies by non-DCC ministries/committees requires the approval of the fellowship and service committee.
- Sanctuary: $50 first 2 hours, $25 each additional hour
- Gathering Space: $75 for 4 hours, $15 each additional
- Downstairs Kitchen: $75 with appliance usage (oven, stove, refrigerator) $25 just serving food, $12 if no food but just using space.
- Class Room(s): $12/room
- Library: $15
- Nurser: $20
- Sound System w/operator: $75/event up to 3 hours ($20/hr. after 3 hrs. and for rehearsals on separate date)
- PowerPoint/Video: $75/event up to 3 hours ($20/hr. after 3 hrs. and for on separate date)
- Computer/VCR/DVD: $10
- Kitchen Supervisor: $15/hour (determined by Fellowship and Service Committee Chair)
- Custodial: $10/hour
- Deposit required: 50% of total fees to be calculated and collected at time of meeting with Facility Manager (minimum of $50)
*Members/Regular Attendees of Decorah Covenant Church: 100% off all items.
Note: An additional $20 fee will be applied for any event scheduled after noon on Saturdays.
Facility Use Request Form